While there may not be any turnips left in the field, I have another delicious turnip recipe for you today! This one may not be so summer appropriate, because this is super rich, but loaded with nutrients, and so so nice as a main dish 🙂
- 1 Cup of Milk Kefir (or coconut milk, but of course this will take on a coconut flavour)
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 an onion
- 4 cloves of Garlic
- 1 large fresh gbejna
- 1/2 Cup Blue Cheese
- Sprinkle of Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tbsp plain flour (arrowroot/tapioca would work as well)
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 Large Leeks
- 4 Medium Turnips
- 2 Medium Potatoes
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- More Thyme, salt and black pepper to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 C.
- Make the sauce by first browning your slices onions and chopped garlic in the butter in a saucepan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on a medium heat until the sauce comes to a boil. Immediately turn to a low heat and whisk for approximately 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Allow sauce to rest while you assemble the Gratin
- Clean and slice your turnips, potatoes, and leeks thinly
- Pour the sauce over the veg, and combine thoroughly
- Add the final bit of butter along the top of the dish, and garnish with the additional herbs/spices.
- Put into the oven for approximately one hour, or until the potatoes and turnips are fully tender, when a knife can easily pierce them.
- Serve, and enjoy!