What a treat we have been given with a harvest of turnips! These turnips are encrusted with parmesan, and served over a bed of their own greens (note – these are a bit bitter! But I personally still enjoy them) 🙂
Ingredients (for 4 patties)
- 4 Small – Medium Turnips
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to Taste
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1 Small Onion
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- Chop the leaves off of the turnips, and tear off the soft leaves from the stem and set aside
- Boil the turnips for 20-25 minutes, or until soft enough for a knife to easily pierce it
- In the meantime, sautee the onions and garlic in 1tbsp of olive oil until browned in a separate pan. Add the turnip greens, salt, pepper, and the lemon juice. Continue to cook down until completely softened.
- Take a piece of paper towel, place the turnips on it once they are ready, and cover with another piece of paper towel. Smash down the turnips to flatten them with a potato masher.
- Top the turnips with 1 tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, and the parmesan cheese
- In a pan, add the final tbsp of olive oil, and cook the turnip patties until they begin to form a crust. Flip half way through, It will take approximately 2 minutes each side. Keep an eye on them in order not to burn them, keep on a medium heat.
- Serve the turnip patties over the bed of greens, and enjoy!